Interested in Layout Design?

Working from a prototype location or trying to fit a specific space? Everyone loves a good trackplan...
tunnelmotor

Interested in Layout Design?

Post by tunnelmotor »

I wonder how many members are either members of the Layout Design SIG (LDSIG) or are interested in layout design. Could you please express an interest and whether you are a member of the LDSIG? It might be worth creating a new UK-based group to get together and share ideas and even put on a display like they do in the USA.
torikoos

Re: Interested in Layout Design?

Post by torikoos »

I am always interested in layout design, I have looked at the layout design group, but I have to be honest, as they charge for a membership, I never took it up.

Interested to see what comes of it. It could be an added value to membership of the NMRA-BR, if we put it in a 'members only' section.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

I'm interested in layout design, but not a member of the group you mention.

It would be a great idea to start something "from scratch", for UK-based modellers, as we have slightly different parameters, and a different hinterland of experiences. It's a subject that's discussed on the RMWeb, that could find a much more appropriate home on this forum.
Brian Moore
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Also interested, but not a member of LDSIG...
Martyn Read
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

I'm interested as well, but not a member of the SIG.
I suspect we are better at smaller layouts, as we don't have the space.
Having a place to put your design and get constructive comments would enable possible problems to be avoided.
Members after ideas could post what they want and see if someone else has a solution.
Mike Ruby
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

Layout design is an area that fascinates me too! However, I'm not a member of the LDSIG mainly because I've never got around to joining! I do agree with Brian M. that we do have different parameters / experience over here, but I have found that since going over to US modelling I have picked up different ways of looking at / doing things!

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

santafe1958 wrote:Layout design is an area that fascinates me too! However, I'm not a member of the LDSIG mainly because I've never got around to joining! I do agree with Brian M. that we do have different parameters / experience over here, but I have found that since going over to US modelling I have picked up different ways of looking at / doing things!

Brian
I agree. I still get Railway Modeller every month, and I read and look at it in a different way, in comparison to how I used to, as a UK-outline modeller. In the same way as I believe the stuff we are now developing as a USP of US-outline modelling, the modular/operations/DCC&sound/smooth-running concept (years ahead of what most British modellers do), is something may of them would be interested in, our ideas are also ground in looking at available space being at a complete premium. So we learn from "both sides".

The Californian-based SP Modeller Tony Thompson has said his own "proto-freelance" branchline of the SP Coast Line 1953 was wholly influenced by his exposure to the classic "GWR branchline" layouts he saw when he spent a year in the UK. Interestingly, I used exactly the same sort of logic, fully independent of him, to formulate my own "SP branch line off The Coast Line in 1954".
Brian Moore
calaf01

Post by calaf01 »

I'm very interested in layout design and though I'm not a member of the US-based LDSig, I do subscribe to their Yahoo group.

There seems to be quite a lot of crossover over there between the LDSig and the OPSig of which I am a member. They are related, of course, because whenever I start looking at a layout design it's always the ops potential that's at the forefront of my mind because that's where my main interest lies.

I'd also be interested to know how much layout design principles govern the setup of the RS Tower modules, and ops design as well for that matter. All I've ever seen is the end result, and not very much of that I'm afraid to say, not nearly as much as I would wish at least.
Alan C.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Hi Alan, well, we always try and design something that will work as a layout, if that's what you mean! :)
Martyn Read
tunnelmotor

Post by tunnelmotor »

As I said in the inital post I am a member of the LDSIG. One of the "perks" of membershup is that you can share material with NMRA members....as long as author credit is given along with a link to the LDSIG membership page or other LDSIG contact details are provided with it.

Membership is for a specified number of publications (the Layout Design Journal), not for a period. They plan to publish quarterly and have been keeping to that, give or take a week or two. Latest issue, #48 runs to 36 pages, all photos in black and white. Byron Henderson is the editor and Seth Neumann is President. I have met both guys and visited Seth's layout during X2011 West in 2011.

A starting point could be a repository here for planning ideas plus highlights from each LDJ? Any other thoughts?

I have to confess a weakness for looking at plans for prototype locations and am completely turned off by so-called time-savers/switching puzzles. I do however enjoy watching and chatting with owners of prototypical looking "shunting planks", marvelling at what they achieve in limited space. I also confess to being an absolute fan of Lance Mindheim and cannot get enough of his Downtown Spur.

There was an interesting discussion on another yahoo group (perhaps the regionsand divisions one) where it was suggested and strongly supported that too many members try to build too big a layout. Many die before they even get it running....a salutory tale for us all.

Ah well off to the cabin to carry on filling the space.....
warbonnetuk

Post by warbonnetuk »

Gloriousnse wrote:Also interested, but not a member of LDSIG...
Mike

Only just picked up on this thread...

Same as Martyn - interested but not a member

Dan
Dan Spalding

Galatia KS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galatia- ... 5487154282
calaf01

Post by calaf01 »

tunnelmotor wrote:There was an interesting discussion on another yahoo group (perhaps the regionsand divisions one) where it was suggested and strongly supported that too many members try to build too big a layout. Many die before they even get it running....a salutory tale for us all.

Ah well off to the cabin to carry on filling the space.....
That's why I belong to a club. My dream layout isn't likely to even get started.
Alan C.
mec_alf

Post by mec_alf »

I'm also interested. I'm working on a servicing facility in the loftspace, with the blessing of the controller of thought, word, deed and finance, and am mulling over an N-scale on a 6' by 4' board.
From Rigby Yard to the Hill - MEC and SP live on.
JimD17

Post by JimD17 »

I'm interested in layout design and a member of the yahoo group but not the sig. I would be very interested in a BR group and suggest one topic would be the what do people want in a layout; to run trains? opperate? other?

Jim Dickinson
PeterLJ

Post by PeterLJ »

Hi

I think if we do such a thing we use this forum as our "base". I am sure we could negotiate for space for articles and such.

Peter L-J