Sticking it down!

Are you handlaid, sectional or flexible? Raise your questions or give us your tips here...
Mike_R

Sticking it down!

Post by Mike_R »

I've read about the different adhesives to stick track down with, none of which seem to be easily available here. Up until now I've spiked track down.
Today I wanted to make a test bit of track for experimenting with staining my sand based ballast, what to stick it with?
I always have a tube of no-nails type adhesive (I use the cheaper store branded ones) in a cartridge gun, so I tried it. Putting a very thin layer on some hardboard and pressing the track in, it held straight away. I put ballast and thinned PVA on half an hour later, track stayed put.
I've some track laying on a module to do soon, I'll use this method again. The adhesive lasts for ages so long as a cap is put on the nozzle, I use it for scenery, filling, foam and some wood joins, so another use is a bonus.
I normally use PVA for the trackbed, I'm now thinking this adhesive would be a lot faster.
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Re: Sticking it down!

Post by torikoos »

It IS a lot faster, I've used it for my modules too. And so far all seems good. However I think using some PC ties etc at module ends is still a good idea.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Re: Sticking it down!

Post by Mike_R »

I always have the rails soldered to PC ties or brass screws at all baseboard joins. I prefer screws as they are a lot stronger, but harder to disguise. On my logging layout I bent Z shapes from nickel silver sheet, the rails were soldered to the top of the Z (only the width of the rail base) and the bottom was a lot longer with a screw hole drilled for fixing to the baseboard. This is almost invisible once ballasted.
I also make the track bed under the end from solid pine strip to further strengthen the fixing.
Mike Ruby