Installing a turnout motor

Are you handlaid, sectional or flexible? Raise your questions or give us your tips here...
torikoos

Installing a turnout motor

Post by torikoos »

Hi all,

I've recently installed a couple of turnout motors, made and supplied by Conrad electronics.
The link to this motor is here: http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/ ... -Mechanism
It costs only £3,99 , and has a micro switch to use for switching of the frog polarity or other uses. It might not be a Tortoise, or a Fulgurex motor, but it might prove sufficient for your use/budget, small project or other uses. I've decided to use them on my NMRA-BR spec module, and see how they withstand the test of time.
Here are two Youtube videos I made, one from above, and one from below, seeing it in action. It is not a 'slow motion' motor, but it's a bit more gentle than a Peco motor or similar design. The videos were uploaded directly to Youtube using the free app 'Youtube Capture' for iPhone.

Koos

Part one, from above.

Part two, from below.
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Re: Installing a turnout motor

Post by BrianMoore »

They look fab. Cheap, and less "immediate" than PECO motors.
Brian Moore
torikoos

Re: Installing a turnout motor

Post by torikoos »

BrianMoore wrote:They look fab. Cheap, and less "immediate" than PECO motors.
Yes they are quite good for the money. They are genuine motor driven, but the gears don't have such a big reduction, so the speed is still fairly high.
However if you'd lower the voltage to them, they'd operate slower still, but I find this 'good enough'.
They also have an auto shut off at end of throw, so if you leave the switch depressed , they're not humming etc and can't burn out that way. In addition, they don't draw a lot of power either (the specs say 13mA at 16VAC) , so I'd recommend to give them a try.
Out of the 'box' they operate on AC, the leads to the motor are equipped with diodes, so effectively they operate in 'half wave' mode already, when on AC.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.