Handlaid Track

Are you handlaid, sectional or flexible? Raise your questions or give us your tips here...
tunnelmotor

Handlaid Track

Post by tunnelmotor »

I want to build a bit of track using the old handlaying methods of rail, wooden ties and spikes. A question for anyone out there with experience: is it advisable to pre-drill holes into the ties or is simple pressure sufficient to successfully drive the spike home using a traditional spiking tool (I have the one from Micro-Mark)? The ties are made from strips of obechi.

Mike Arnold
torikoos

Re: Handlaid Track

Post by torikoos »

I quite like the idea of hand laid, but who in the UK has a good supply of wooden ties, spikes and rail?

Cheers, Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
tunnelmotor

Post by tunnelmotor »

Koos,

I get suitably sized wood strips from my local hobby shop, the Hobby Box in Uckfield (10% discount for NMRA members) and use Micro Engineering spikes which any Walthers agent should be able to get for you.

Mike Arnold
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

My track on Pine Point Mill used balsa ties, cut from 4" wide sheets, spikes can be easily pushed through them. The rail is Shinohara code 70 and PECO code 75.

I find that you need to support a spike well when pushing in, I start by holding 2/3 of it pushing as far I can then doing another third until it is all in. I've never tried a spiking tool. I think you will need to experiment.

I do drill plastic ties, using a battery screwdriver and a tiny chuck. I haven't broken a drill bit since I started using it.

Mike Ruby
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

I once did a little bit of test track with some wooden ties and code 70 rail (a long time ago).
I know the trouble with any (Walthers) vendor is that they haven't usually got spikes in stock, although they can order it, but I found some code 100 spikes.
Does it make a huge difference in using code 100 spikes on lets say code 83 or smaller rail, or will it work just fine?

cheers, Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Code 100 spike heads are a bit long for smaller rail. That was all I could get 25 years ago.
When I did the logging line I cut the heads in half, you need the spike to go in close to the rail base to hold the rail in gauge. On plastic track I use the full head as the gauge is held by the ties.
Yes I'm still using the same spikes! I bought enough to spike every tie, but never did that. One day I'll redo the layout and put in smaller spikes.

Mike
Mike Ruby
kathymillatt

Post by kathymillatt »

Mike

I have handlaid twice and struggled the first time - so much so that I ended up drilling the holes. The subroadbed was some kind of sound deadening very dense board stuff. The second time was a cinch as the subroadbed was foam. I used Xuron spiking pliers.

I got my ties from the States - Kappler basswood - and micro engineering small spikes. I also used micro engineering weathered code 70 rail.

I have found the triangular gauges really helpful ane they ease out on curves slightly which is useful.

Regards

Kathy
kathymillatt

Post by kathymillatt »

PS EDM - NGtrains.com have spikes.

Kathy