NCE N14IP decoder and Lenz 100

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
torikoos

NCE N14IP decoder and Lenz 100

Post by torikoos »

Hello , I seem to have an issue trying to program the above NCE decoder on my Lenz 100 system.

Other decoders don't seem to have an issue, but this one does. Is there an incompatibility issue?
I get the most random results, on the programming track the loco does it's usual short moves when programming followed by a quick run of about 2 inches. reading back the address often this is then not what I tried to input. Eventually I managed to set the address correctly. The loco however still doesn't move if I try to run it, and currently it sits there with the headlight on, but no response. Other loco's work fine. I've already reset the decoder a few times, and tried programming it in paged mode, but it is odd, perhaps this decoder is faulty, but I thought I'd ask around.

Cheers, Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Re: NCE N14IP decoder and Lenz 100

Post by torikoos »

I'll elaborate a little on my initial post, so bear with me:

The full story:

I installed a NCE N14IP in my new HO Atlas GP38-2 , but I cannot get it to behave. Now, sometimes it might be the DCC system that is somewhat incompatible with decoders (or the other way around), so I will mention that I am trying to program this with a Lenz set 100 DCC system, using the programming track on my system.

I have previously used this decoder in another loco, so I thought I'd quickly plug it into this unit (which is very easy to do, pull off the dynamic brake blister, swap the dummy board for the decoder, and put the blister back on, done, no need for the complete opening up of the loco, great design , see picture below), give it a new address and off we go... WRONG!

After install I called up the loco's address and it communicated address 4352 to me. This is odd, as this decoder previously had address 2537.... Anyway, I decided to start with a clean slate and reset the decoder, the loco makes it's usual string of buzzes and short yerky movements, power cycles and after that de loco returns address 0003 to me, which is default and thus seems okay.
I tried running the loco under that number first, but nothing happens, no lights no movement.
Returning to the programming track, I read out the address again, I get various results, no address on the display of the LH100 (just lines), 0003 and again 4352 , so I did another reset, followed by programming the address I wanted (4404) and read out the decoder, and after a few attempts I get 4404 returned.
Again, putting it on the layout , nothing happens at all, at one instant the headlight is on continually, but doesn't respond and no movement at all.
I also have to mention that on the programming track, the loco responds in different ways, some cases a few short yerks and buzzes , which are sometimes followed by the loco shooting forward by a few inches, and this usually is resulting in an unsuccessful programming attempt, and sometimes the yerks/buzzes continue a bit longer, and usually seem to return a successful CV change etc..

I think three things could be the case:

For some reason, the output of the programming track output of my Lenz system isn't powerful enough to program this decoder and would need a booster. I think this is unlikely as the decoder is a simple non sound decoder (and actually an N scale decoder, but has powerful motor outputs, so enough to drive this HO loco, it previously worked fine in a SW1500 ).
The other option is that the decoder is duff for some reason, I think this might be possible
Last option is that I need to program this decoder in another way, possibly using 'paged' mode, or direct bit.

So now come the questions:
Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour before, and if so was it a similar combination of an NCE decoder with a Lenz DCC system?
Has this got another root cause, and could it be one of the 3 reasons I mentioned, or is it something different?

Most importantly, does anyone have a solution to this ?

Yes the wheels and all contacts are clean, and so is the programming track. Other locos work fine (I did try another loco to see if I was doing something wrong, but worked fine)

Thanks very much,

Koos

below a picture of the easy access and install of the decoder:

Decoder install atlas gp38-2 by K2K Koos, on Flickr
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.