SP passenger car interior colours - enquiry

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
torikoos

Re: SP passenger car interior colours - enquiry

Post by torikoos »

Hi Terry, whilst I am not familiar with that topic myself, may I suggest you also post your question at the southern pacific modelers society forum? While this is still a relatively new forum too, it is specifically aimed at the SP, and therefore you might come accros someone who can point you in the right direction.

you can find them at: http://www.southernpacificmodelerssocie ... portal.php

Hope that helps.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

800622 wrote:I am a relative newcomer to railway modelling and have not been able to find the info that I need on Southern Pacific passenger car interiors. I have set of IHC interiors that I wish to fit but would like them to look reasonably authentic. None of the books I have read give me the details I require.

My queries are regarding the plain and corrugated side stainless steel(?) passenger cars:
1. The colour of the upholstery?
2. The colour of the flooring?
3. The colour of the interior walls
4. Any other remarks on these interiors.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry
Generally, the colour of the seats of the long-distance passenger (ie, non-commute) cars were red, with medium green walls and cream ceilings, viz:
Southern Pacific Coach Interior by DTrigger05, on Flickr

In the diners and bars, things were a bit more sophisticated, with greys, mustards and oranges, dependent on the period and the train service. Dining cars would have had white table cloths, and many of the "comfy chair" coaches would have cream head-rests over the red seat.

To do more specific research, you'd really have to buy the myriad of SP books on the subject.
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Glad to hear you had a few answers and the SPMS is a useful site for you,Terry, so hope you enjoy it.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.