Achievement Programme - Chief Dispatcher

Want to run your railway a little more like the real thing? Read on...
tunnelmotor

Achievement Programme - Chief Dispatcher

Post by tunnelmotor »

Been discussing this with Keith and want to encourage, facilitate and essentially get AP certificates for Chief Dispatcher for as many of you guys out there as possible. I have been re-reading the article on this class in Scale Rails from a ways back plus the description on the NMRA website (see http://www.nmra.org/education/achieveme ... patch.html ) and it all looks quite do-able. So here's a question for you all - have any of you developed a form to record the hours worked on the different positions on an OPS oriented layout. I have been operating the late Nigel Kitchener's Rio Grande Northern layout since early 2012, probably every three months now but we have not recorded any time for this but could re-constitute from diary entries. We must spend four hours minimum each time operating using car cards and waybills and following a timetable. Four of five of us... My own layout is now working so will be starting up OPS on that soon so I have plenty of opportunity with other members to work towards this

Anyone out there been collating their time in an ordered fashion who can assist here? Looking forward to seeing some posts on this.

Also posted on OPSIGBR@yahoogroups.com.

Mike
calaf01

Re: Achievement Programme - Chief Dispatcher

Post by calaf01 »

Sorry Mike, I'm just starting to get into this myself and haven't recorded any times. I have about four sessions operating all day on Ted Smale's layout, and three on Mike Tricker's, thought these were only evening sessions and probably not long enough. I'd be interested in doing an operations AP certificate. I looked at the requirements but haven't initiated anything yet. I certainly haven't got as far as recording my activities.
Alan C.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Could this be done on modular layouts, as several groups are now running operations on them?
Mike Ruby
tunnelmotor

Post by tunnelmotor »

Alan,

The good news for you is that both Ted and Mike record who does what on a spreadsheet. It seems that the Region AP Chairman, Steve Park, needs to appoint two "judges" to verify your time spent. He may have done this altready but is very facilitating and may ask the owners and another to so act. So you could be on your way!

I have been pointed to a form by Peter Borcherds - it is at the foot of the page on the NMRA website about Chief Dispatcher.

Mike,

No reason why ANY form of layout cannot be used - you just need to keep records of who did what when. One small layout, say a switching shelf layout, may not be enough on its own as mainline running is needed to complete the set. Put your head togther with Peter and Brian and work something out and ask Steve Park to appoint some of you to verify the others.

Mike A
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

I'm sure that at least a few of us have put in a very large bag of hours on Yardmaster/Engineer/Conductor/Dispatcher duties that would fit into the descriptions that satisfy the NMRA rules. We've been "operating" most months for at least a couple of years now.
Brian Moore
PeterBowen

Post by PeterBowen »

Gents,

I am very interested in pursuing this and want to know where to start and who wants an extra operator on their layout.

Any help and suggestions are more than welcome please.

Peter
Peter Bowen
Peter Bowen Art
Art and Ceramics
PeterLJ

Post by PeterLJ »

Hi

The form for the hours is at:

http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files ... -mrecd.pdf

I am keen we get involved in this, my last entry was 2011, so it is out with the diary!

Peter L-J

OPSIGBR POC
PeterBowen

Post by PeterBowen »

Mike,

This is certainly what I would like to get involved with but not sure where to start... any suggestions?

I do not have access to a home layout and don't know of any layouts close by that I could operate on?

H E L P ???

Peter
Peter Bowen
Peter Bowen Art
Art and Ceramics
PeterLJ

Post by PeterLJ »

Hi Peter

I would get involved with a local modular group where you will always have the opportunity to put in hours towards Engineer. One does not even really need a module or any stock, though the willingness to help set up and tear down is a great asset. Looking at Roundhouse we have the Armitage Freemo meet (HO) and near you have Western Union (bit of a drive), Snake Bend (part of Cyder Belt(n gauge)) and the HO Bearwood Group (Bournemouth). (Sorry no On30:( Contacts being Martyn R, Mike R, Rodders and John Curtis.

Getting hours on some of the other categories can be more problematic.

The Operations Road show would be something for us to inspire to.

http://www.railsonwheels.com/ors/opershow.shtml

If we were to pursue this route I would recommend n gauge, 1'6" wide and compatible height with Snake Bend and Black Diamonds (to allow any module to be used on their set ups with suitable filler boards). We would need at least 5 members committed to building say two modules each. (Perhaps one with a station each side and the other straight through track).

All the best

Peter L-J

OPSIGBR POC