Tree Point (was:Trackplans for a new small modular layout)

Discussions on all modular specific topics...
torikoos

Tree Point (was:Trackplans for a new small modular layout)

Post by torikoos »

Below are a few track plans I've made using Anyrail (the free trial version), I must say it is probably the easiest to use track plan software I've come across so far, and it is an unlimited trial version. For small plans like this entirely adequate.

The track plan are for my new boards, that I'm starting with , to make a small switching layout that can be attached to our NMRA-BR boards, at least on one side. One of the industries is a corn syrup unloading facility, based on the thread in 'industries' .
The boards are 18" x 3ft each, and the plan is currently based on Peco code 83 track with no 5 switches, to save space.

Here are the first two variations, comments appreciated as usual.

Koos

industrial Park V1B adjusted lead track by K2K Koos, on Flickr

industrial Park V1C crossing moved by K2K Koos, on Flickr
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Re: Trackplans for a new small modular layout

Post by torikoos »

And here's another version, eliminating the crossing, and extending the space at the team track.

Koos

industrial Park V1D crossing eliminated by K2K Koos, on Flickr
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

In the first and second plans, you surely wouldn't have any space to place even one corn syrup car back into the facility - looks like the feeding track to it isn't even big enough to hold a loco, never mind a loco and a couple of cars.

The third example works, and is simpler into the bargain.
Brian Moore
calaf01

Post by calaf01 »

Two issues I see, and I expect they're both deliberate. One is with no runaround track your cars have to be oriented correctly off the module, and with both facing and trailing industries that limits what you can do. The other is that with no through track you're limited as to where you can put it in a layout. It will have to be on the end. With a through track provision you can still put it on the end, but there are other options as well.
Alan C.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Thanks,

The no through track is indeed not so much deliberate , as I wanted a slight angle on the tracks compared to the boards , to make it look a bit less stiff and 'natural' so they do end up being 'end boards' .

The fact that one spur is facing in the opposite direction is to make use of available space.
To make it easier a second loco could be employed, or these boards are joined to my Wolter springs module, which do have a runaround track.

Perhaps I am overlooking something though so all suggestions welcome.

Koos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

I envisaged that it would be at the end of a branch, placed just after your Wolter Springs boards, which have the necessary run-around facilities to serve the three tracks.
Brian Moore
calaf01

Post by calaf01 »

It looks like it wouldn't be so difficult to straighten out the end of the track in the middle there if you changed your mind.
Alan C.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Hi Alan,

no it isn't , in fact I've been playing with that idea already :-)

Trackplan with through track both ends by K2K Koos, on Flickr

Koos
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Modules should really have two ends or there will be a limit on where they can be used. Even 11th Avenue, a terminus, will soon be able to be a through module. We currently can have four ends, if using two storage yards that's two gone. Your module may not be able to be used.
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Here's the latest version, with the corn syrup spur reversed, and industries swapped location.
It starts to resemble Lance Mindheim's Palmetto Spur in this configuration.
The Team track might not be usable as a stand alone module but I could still switch the grain elevator and corn syrup industries. (The grain elevator is not determined yet, I might change that into another industry, as I already have a small one on Wolter Springs).

Koos

Industrial Park V2A all spurs same direction by K2K Koos, on Flickr
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

If the track for the grain elevator paralleled the other line, then yes, I know what you have said about wanting slight angles, but it could double up as a run-round, if you decide on another baseboard.

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Well here's the latest version,

I guess it is now limited in it's use for a modular layout, but realistically speaking, I don't attend often enough to worry about that at the moment. My main reasons for this design is to have a bit of switching fun in a stand alone environment, but I do want to adhere to the modular specs for 95%, so that it has the capability of being joined up with these at some stage, albeit at an end only.
industrial Park V2B extended teamtrack and loco parking spur by K2K Koos, on Flickr

Koos
torikoos

RE; Tree Point (was Trackplans for a new small modular layou

Post by torikoos »

The first two decisions have been made:

The track plan will be as per my previous post.
I will name it Tree Point, WI. The name came out of a random name generator and I found it sounded good, and sounds like '3 points', which is the number of points/switches/turnouts I have on this small module.

One industry is a 100% certainty, the corn syrup facilities, the teamtrack/loco parking spur is probably going ahead too, the one industry that I'm still not sure of is the grain elevator. Once I build some mock ups, I can see if there's sufficient space for it, or that I'll change it to something different.

industrial Park V2B extended teamtrack and loco parking spur by K2K Koos, on Flickr

Koos
torikoos

Re: Tree Point (was:Trackplans for a new small modular layou

Post by torikoos »

The track was delivered sooner than expected, so I had to have a quick go by laying it roughly in position on the two foam boards.
This so I could gauge the look and feel for it.
Now that I have a scale locomotive on it , I can already see that the lead track is too short to switch with, there's eight and half inches of space from the last turnout to the board edge, and the GP38-2 on the picture is roughly 8 inches, so there's no room for it plus 1 car even.
I could elect to shorten the spurs and bring everything over to the right, but I don't think I'll do that, it makes everything even more compact, and that's not a look and feel I want to create.
I may just need to build a removable extension so I can switch back onto that, with nothing more than a piece of straight track, and some scenery.

Tree Point by K2K Koos, on Flickr

Koos
torikoos

Re: Tree Point (was:Trackplans for a new small modular layou

Post by torikoos »

The old adage of:"never throw anything away as you might be able to use it later' certainly rang true today.
I remembered I still had some wood cut roughly to size, which was at some stage intended to be used to construct double sided modules, plans we had at the Western Union, but they did not materialise.
They are a near perfect fit for my boards, I need to do a little bit of adjustment work, to make them fit better, and then I've got the base of the boards ready. Legs will need to follow at some stage.
Looks like I'm off to a flying start. :-)

Koos

Board construction by K2K Koos, on Flickr