Modern freight local switching

News and views from the real thing
BrianMoore

Modern freight local switching

Post by BrianMoore »

Two great videos, the content of which are replicated at the Western Union and other meets every month.
Brian Moore
Mike_R

Re: Modern freight local switching

Post by Mike_R »

Sounds like they have a decent amount of acceleration and deceleration set in their sound decoders!
Now that is a crew working well, no hanging around!

Set your locos to work like this and then learn when to start braking to stop at the correct place is so rewarding to operate.
None of your direct control like an old d.c. controller.

Here is a similar thing in HO

Mike Ruby
Mike_R

More Modern freight local switching

Post by Mike_R »

I came across this video of two SD40-2's switching. So much for gentle acceleration while switching and people saying that locos can't throttle up fast and have to go through the notches. What a great sound!
Plus they are switching on the main, blocking crossings and in the middle of town.

Mike Ruby
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

So no one interested in this one then.
Note the locos bucking each other early in the video, and for those who still have directional lighting in their decoders this video shows how wrong that is! If you want this sound in your locos put a load of acceleration in the decoder.
Mike Ruby
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

Mike_R wrote:So no one interested in this one then.
Note the locos bucking each other early in the video, and for those who still have directional lighting in their decoders this video shows how wrong that is! If you want this sound in your locos put a load of acceleration in the decoder.
Absolutely. I watched a YouTube vid. from a UK-outline modeller recently, whose excellent shunting sequence was great, apart from when his lights went on and off with the direction of travel - totally ruined the overall effect. I advised him about it, and he has subsequently tweaked his CV inputs.
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

My freelance North Eastern GP38-2 is set up like this. However, it being a GP38-2, it shouldn't have a turbo sound, which mine currently does.....
So for now I pretend it has been retrofitted, until I can afford to buy another decoder with a non turbo 645 engine, I'll then use this one for a GP40 that I still have unpainted in a box...(going to be turned into an SSW GP40R).

there's still a lot to do for me at my home layout, before I can operate properly, I'm still having to do a lot of work on my turnout controls, but I'll get there slowly.

koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Rear pushers usually have headlights on although normally dimmed, as modern locos do not have classification lights so can't show red.
A switcher usually runs with headlights on at both ends, maybe ditchlights, especially if on the main, which is why all my locos have independently operated lights. Most of these locos have ditchlights on both ends so I have four sets of lights, luckily UP don't flash their ditchlights otherwise I would need six outputs or fit relays for the ditchlights running of the headlights, which I have done.
The locos in the video are are on the main, so leaving the ditch lights on would be normal, plus they are passing crossings where ditchlights are required unless doing under 15 mph.
Mike Ruby