Paint Markers

Here's a place to share and exchange finishing techniques.
Mike_R

Paint Markers

Postby Mike_R » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:33 pm

I have been weathering my trucks and wheels with acrylic paint markers.
I use dark brown or brown with 2mm tips. They are also good for painting structures, rails and ties.

http://www.londongraphics.co.uk/product ... /20/page/1

Mike Ruby
Mike Ruby

Mike_R

Re: Paint Markers

Postby Mike_R » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:16 pm

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/MFTbDE]Image[/url]23rd Street signal2 by Mike Ruby, on Flickr[/url]

The GP15 is one I've finally finished adding bits to with lift rings, MU cables, uncoupling levers and ariel. The stock are from two extreme ages, the railbox car I bought a few weeks ago and it was weathered, new wheels and couplings fitted before it touched the rails. On a photo of these cars I saw one with a new roof panel, so did the same here, masking it while the weathering was added. The UP car is one of the first I bought, over 35 years ago! It had some weathering done many years ago, but has been experimented on, it was first to be a slider cleaning car, more weathering and now has new Athearn trucks which I've used a carbon paint pen to put a track across the axle for block detection. I'll see how it goes before doing others. If successful I can then do some other Genesis cars whose wheels cannot easily be changed for metal axled ones.

All the weathering was done with thin acrylic washes or paint pens.
Mike Ruby

deanobeano

Re: Paint Markers

Postby deanobeano » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi Mike,

The weathering and the new panel look really adds character to the rolling stock - when you're able to get results like that I can understand the merits for doing so rather than leaving them pristine and pretending there's a good cleaning plant on the layout!!

Have been looking for paint pens with a fine tip - will give them a try out for my N scale railsides and timbers - nothing ventured nothing gained!!

Regards

Dean
Dean Halls

Return to “Painting, Decalling and Weathering”