Plug then Play

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
torikoos

Plug then Play

Post by torikoos »

I've taken a picture of the set of connections as used on the NMRA-BR modules of the Western Union, this is the bottom of one of my modules under construction. You'll have to forgive me as not having placed it in line, as Flickr seems to have changed it's interface and I cannot find the usual method of adding the code to embed the image here.... As soon as that is the case, I'll update this post. (NOW Updated).

You'll notice some differences as opposed to the article in Roundhouse, by Tom Winlow. The differences are mainly due to the fact that RS Tower is the nearest group to us, and we are most likely to interface with them.

Plug then play by K2K Koos, on Flickr

You'll see the following connections:
RED Bananas, Track bus connections
Black Bananas, Auxilary bus connections (Tom Winlow's articles uses power pole connections, but it's easy to plug in a special lead with a banana one one end, and a power pole on the other, to connect the two 'systems'. ).
the Grey ST16 is a plug commonly used for halogen lighting. We use them for analog auxilary power, in this case 16V AC (for lights, or locally controlled turnout motors etc)
Finally in the middle is an 8 pole din connector. This carries the Western Union 'X BUS' , basically these are pretty much all signals of a full Lenz DCC system ( most letters that you find on the back of a Lenz Command station, are represented), throttle bus connections are easily branched of these, and as such, the fascia of each of my module boards has at least 2 Din (5 pole) connections for Lenz Throttles.

All that remains now is to plug them in, and the play can begin. :-)

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Re: Plug then Play

Post by Mike_R »

Here is my version on my adaptor board. The right end connects to my double track module, it has the multipole plug that carries all my track and power busses through the module. The grey cables carry the screened expanded x-bus, as well as the Lenz bus it has the booster bus and feedback bus, this idea came from the Thamesiders.

Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Ah yes Thamessiders, I could not remember the origins.

Perhaps for those interested, you can post the pin out of the x bus here( I believe it's a PDF?)

Koos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

How do you display a PDF? I only have it on my computer, I'll have to see if I can put it on Photobucket.
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

you should be able to upload an attachment, there should be a 'tab' below the field where you enter a reply to this thread (don't use quick reply, as that has less options), upload it first, then 'place inline' should do it. The option is below the preview and submit buttons..

koos
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Mike will need to forward it to you to upload Koos, only web team members have doc upload access at the mo.
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Ah, I didn't realise that. It looked like the same upload option as I have on Big Blue / The gauge. (it's available to all members there) . I have it myself but did not want to 'bypass' Mike in doing so... so moving on..

here it is attached. :-)

Koos
xbus pinout.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

I've now updated my original post with the picture placed in line.
It turns out that my trouble with Flickr is due to two issues:
-I'm often using an older computer (a Mac with a powerPC G3 processor), and older browser (newer browsers are not available for my hardware) , which up till recently was perfectly addequate
-Flickr has incorporated newer web technology into their site, which means that certain pop up windows etc no longer become visible on my older machine. It works fine on my fairly new work laptop, I guess for now I have to waste more of my boss' time as Flickr left me no choice.
If you run into similar issues, it might just be that your machine is ancient too....

Koos
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

There is one addition to the pinout PDF, I've added a Cat 5 cable for connection of an Ethernet tester. This connection (not the best way for use of this cable on the layout, as the pairs should be matched to bus pairs) means that the tester picks up the correct bus pin numbers, so if there is a fault it tells you which bus wire is the problem. I now plug one end of the tester in to where the command station is to be connected and then walk around the layout with the other end checking the throttle sockets and last board bus connectors, a quick easy way to check the bus before connecting the command station. I have 5 and 8 pin test leads for checking both types of sockets.

I added track pickups to one end of my Rampmeter box, that is used to check module track polarity and voltage.

These two pieces of test equipment means it only takes a few minutes to check our modules are correctly connected.
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Well I will see that put to the test when I finally manage to bring my modules back to the UK. One board is now completely finished electrically, the other is 3/4 of the way there, just turnout wiring and 16V AC to do.

Koos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk