Lenz USB interface

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
torikoos

Lenz USB interface

Post by torikoos »

Hi all, besides the Lenz USB computer interface, which others are available to connect a computer to a Lenz DCC system? I am particularly interested in lower cost options as I find the current offerings by Lenz rather pricey, and their latest model also includes Ethernet which I really don't need.

Thanks, Koos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Re: Lenz USB interface

Post by Gloriousnse »

I think the Sprog works with Lenz?

(Posted from my mobile)
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

To my knowledge, the SPROG is not a system interface, but a standalone controller , originally designed for programming using JMRI, but it can nowadays also control a small layout. There currently are SBOOST boosters, as well as a SPROG 'nano', a small USB interface that can connect directly to a booster of any make.

However I'm looking at a way to connect an interface to the command station, so that I can use JMRI for additional (wireless) throttles etc.

I've also put the question onto the SPROG usergroup, perhaps someone will confirm if it works or not.

Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

If you want to build one http://www.terdina.net/rails/ or http://usuaris.tinet.cat/fmco/lokmaus_en.html#genli

Or what about some of the other Xpressnet systems, e.g. Hornby
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Thanks Mike, I'm not afraid of a soldering iron, so that might be an option. Thanks!
Also the Hornby suggestion might be useful, I'll have a look at that too.

Koos
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

I guess, this one from ZTC will also work fine....

http://www.ztccontrols.co.uk/controller.htm

Koos
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

I you have to check that it connects to the Xpressnet directly and not via a command station (looks like it does), and that it handles all commands, not so sure.

See here for further info http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/htm ... ndex.shtml

I'm considering buying the new Lenz ethernet interface as another method of using WiThrottle, no computer is needed with this method.
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

True, it's just a shame Lenz didn't include a wifi connection out of the box, but you actually have to connect it to another base station, however doesn't the wireless throttle need to 'see' a Withrottle server to operate ., if you want to use WiThrottle, without a PC running JMRI that doesn't work.
I do believe another app called 'Touch cab' works directly with this Lenz interface, and no PC required.

Koos
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

torikoos wrote:I do believe another app called 'Touch cab' works directly with this Lenz interface, and no PC required.
That's correct, I've downloaded the free version of Touch cab. I'm not sure how turnouts work, but I like that it can use 28 speed steps.
Plus if we ever have a lot of wireless throttles this is another option allowing a greater number to be used.

It still needs a wireless router though, which my laptop doesn't (at least for Apple). One other advantage is that using ethernet should be faster than USB. The LIUSB does seem slower than my LI101F which runs twice as fast.
Mike Ruby