ESU decoders

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
Mike_R

Re: ESU decoders

Post by Mike_R »

torikoos wrote: I'm now going to put it inside my CP Rail GP38-2 (Atlas), as that's another non-turbo EMD lcoc. Of course, at some point I need to change the soundfile, as 8cylinders is a little on the meager side for a GP38-2, but I think I'll be able to live with it for a bit.

Koos
Loksound have put some more projects on their website, including an EMD 567 with transition and a GE P42 with correct HEP sounds.
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

I can report I'm now the happy owner of an ESU Lokprogrammer, and I'm playing with it at the moment.

I've also ordered a ESU Loksound Select Direct for my new GP15-1. I have suitable engine sound (it has an EMD 645 12 cyl engine , non turbo), but I need a suitable sound for the bell.
Mine is a California Northern, which inherited their GP15-1's from the CNW, and have that distinctive nose bell.

Does anyone have a nose bell sound, or a sound project file with above prime mover and a nose bell?

Thanks!

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

You can't put your own custom sounds into the Loksound Select, Koos; only the bespoke files they provide on their website. You would need a 3.5 or 4 to do what you require. You may also wish to join the Yahoo Loksound group.
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

OK thanks Brian.

I guess I'll nag ESU to make me a complete project file :-)
Useful these forums, I would have probably searched around in circles before I had that answer and understood the difference :-)

Thanks for the yahoo group suggestion, I'll have a look at that.

The next ESU decoder I buy will be a V4 to have maximum flexibility.
I'm just uploading a project file to my GP38-2 , to reset the somewhat 'garbled' sound file in the loco, and change it from a 12 cyl sound to a 16 cyl non turbo. :-)

Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

Rob, Mike and I are definitely happy with suggesting the Select as the "first port of call"; they're cheaper than the 4 and Loksound provide better and better downloads.

But essentially, Loksound provides ultra-smooth running without al the hassle you get with the Tsunami. Interesting too, that more US loco manufacturers are stopping use of Tsunamis and turning to Loksound for that very reason.

As you know, I've got a load of Loksound 3.5-equipped locos.
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Absolutely true, the select I have does have superior motor control , and the sound projects are great start.

I will defo try and go for ESU every time in future.

Koos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Check to see if there is an alternative bell sound. It is set in CV 48, which sets engine, horn, bell and squeal types.
CV 285 sets the ring rate which may also help.

Have you tried the auto motor tune? Works really well and takes a few seconds.

I'm still going to fit V4 to my switching locos, with Selects going into road locos. The V4 allows you set the acceleration sounds, notch change points, change complete sounds and virtually anything else!
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Yes the auto tune function is very useful, and pretty much spot on.

I'm yet to compare a V4 to the select, but I find the select also quite suitable for switching, it has manual notching which I quite like to be honest. The effect of that is pretty good.

What I have noticed is that ESU seems to have 'missed' an opportunity in their Lokprogrammer software. I guess it's first and foremost designed to change sounds etc, but as they have included some DCC functions, why not do a bit more? CV48 as you described, could have had a better page with graphical menus and selector buttons and sliders for the various options there. Decoder Pro does that. It can be that I just haven't found all the functionality yet and only tried it with a Select. Using a different decoder might yield different options again..
Decoder Pro is an option of course, but doesn't work directly with the Lokprogrammer, so you then have to use a different interface (in my case a SPROG).

Koos
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

With a V4 or V3.6 you can set up a better acceleration sequence allowing the engine to rev higher just by stepping up fast and then backing off to the speed you require, without the need to use a functions for manual notching.

But then the Selects in my new Kato GE P42 sound great as they accelerate. I think that as new sound projects come out they are improving on these areas. Another point to Loksound, as Tsunamis, MRC, TCS can't be upgraded and QSI appear to be wallowing with very little coming out.

If you need special sounds or behaviours the V4 is the answer, one day I'll get around to playing with one (I have several) as they can do far more than the V3.5.
Mike Ruby