Digitrax DH165LO for Lifelike P2K locos

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
tunnelmotor

Digitrax DH165LO for Lifelike P2K locos

Post by tunnelmotor »

Thought I would share this with you.

Digitrax make a decoder especially for P2K locos such as the GP60 and SD60/SD60M, the DH165LO. It has resisitors on board for the F0 function which is brilliant. It is meant to be plug and play - it is not! It is not because once installed the headlights front and rear operate as commanded but the loco will not power up. Loco works great with analogue light board in, forward and reverse. Works on analogue with decoder fitted in forward only but not at all in DCC. The answer to the problem is on Digitrax own website - the decoder has a current limiter and the bulb lighting the n umber boards sucks all the juice. See: http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB891/lifel ... -problems/

Simple solution is to remove that light altogether leaving the headlights in place. Hey presto - it now works. Only problem was I fried one decoder getting to the answer and an operating GP60!

Mike Arnold
torikoos

Re: Digitrax DH165LO for Lifelike P2K locos

Post by torikoos »

I have never used a Digitraxx decoder, and don't think ever will. I am slowly converting all my locomotives to Sound, and am generally going with ESU Loksound, or Tsunami, and am very interested in the new TCS Wowsound decoders too. Also have a QSI or two, very complicated things , not the easiest, but the Titans sound quite good too.
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

My GP60 will get a Loksound V4 decoder when I get around to it, along with the GP38-2, GP40-2, SW1500 and GP15. Not to mention the QSI, Blueline and others that will be replaced with Loksound Selects.
I'm a fan of Loksound, did you guess!
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Nope, I had no idea Mike :-)

Any old decoders that come out, instead of the bin, send them my way. I'd happily use them to get some sound in locos of mine that are still DC. I'll then do the conversion to 'modern' decoders at a later stage :-)
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.