DCC for NMRA BR modules

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
torikoos

DCC for NMRA BR modules

Post by torikoos »

Hi all,

As you might know I am building a module to our latest spec. The intention is to fit at least one Lenz fascia panel so that a throttle can be connected. (my nearest local groups use Lenz).
However I am thinking to get a simple DCC system to use these modules as a stand alone switching layout, and am thinking of an NCE Power cab system to do this.
Is the NCE Powercab compatible with the Lenz hardware so I can also fit the NCE fascia panel and hardwire them on the back of the modules via a DCC bus, or does NCE follow a different protocol and wiring set up?

Cheers, Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Re: DCC for NMRA BR modules

Post by torikoos »

Well I've just solved my own problem. :-)

I've found a 2 year old second hand Lenz LH100 set at the 'local' hobby shop (used for demo purposes by said shop only) . They will service it for me, and upload the lastest software if needed, so I will have my own Lenz set to use for €200,- (yes that's euro's, I work in the Netherlands on weekdays), which price I consider a 'steal' looking at what prices they go for on Evil bay etc.
I didn't need to think long about that one. So no issues with compatibility etc. Just need to get a plug converter for the power supply to be able to plug it in in the UK.

Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

I wouldn't have mattered, NCE uses the same 6 pin RJ12 connector, and you could have plugged NCE into the back of the lenz panel and plugged the throttle into the front.
Lenz and NCE use the same four wires, in fact they use the same communication system, if only it was the same codes!
€200 is a good buy I suspect you would only get a new throttle for that.
You will have to decide if you are fitting the 8 pin dins at the ends of your module to connect the x bus to ours, and then if you want the booster bus on to the Lenz panel it needs soldering on or a lead making up.
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Hi Mike , thanks.

Yes I am intending to provide the module with every wiring bus that is required to provide maximum flexibility. So track and power bus, X bus, etc.

Koos
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Does anyone know what kind of powersupplies can be used for the Lenz command station?
I didn't yet get a transformer as it wasn't in stock, but have a couple of old laptop powersupplies (switchmode types) available.
Would these be able to be used, or do I need a conventional powersupply (transformer).
Up to what voltage can be connected? I can't seem to find that in the manual, perhaps I'm overlooking it?

Cheers, Koos

PS: X bus, and banana sockets ordered so I can work on the wiring of the modules.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

You can use a.c. or smoothed d.c. The voltage in should be a few volts over the required output voltage, too much and it can't deliver full power before overheating and shutting down. The supply current should be higher than the unit's overload.

Try page 19 of the LZV V3.6 manual. You can download it from Lenz if you haven't got it.
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Thanks Mike,

I have found an old laptop , switching powersupply, output of 15V , 4.5A DC. It seems to work fine for my module.

Today I hope to make the module connection boards (for fitting at module ends) with the banana sockets etc fitted, so that I can permanently add the track bus wiring etc.
I've also ordered 5 turnout motors. I found these at Conrad Electronics: http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/ ... 0&ref=list , and decided to give them a try. They also stock the Fulgurex motors, but these are over 3 times cheaper. While they are probably not of the same quality, for the module that is not in use that frequent I will try them. They also do the motor drive made by Tillig, of which I have two on my home layout. They are also nice drives, and have the option of sliding the drive out from it's housing for maintenance etc.

BTW, for those who don't know Conrad, it is a german electronics and hobby wholesaler, and started off with all sorts of electronic kits and components. They are very big in Germany and Holland, but for a few years now, have also opened up a UK webshop and a few stores I believe.
They have a modelrailroad section, albeit to european prototypes, but some useful things for sale there.

Koos
Last edited by torikoos on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added information
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Thanks for the tip ref Conrad, looks like a good source for some of those great Euro scenery bits
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Yes they are, it's a very established company, they must have been around for well over 20 years , but are new(ish) to the UK market. I remember soldering electronic kits of them back in my late teen years so they are at least that old. (and considering I'm getting bold and grey in places and have hairs growing where I don't want them, you can imagine my age :-) LOL).

Koos