EsPee Rapido B36-7 - Initial thoughts

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
mec_alf

EsPee Rapido B36-7 - Initial thoughts

Post by mec_alf »

Just in time for Christmas it's arrived! There was a minor panic as the first example was a plain-vanilla (analogue) model rather than the full-fat (DCC sound, lights etc.) one but Rapido shipped the correct one and I picked it up last Sunday.

There are two minor issues with the model - the rear UDE light is a dummy as Rapido couldn't get the circuitry for it, a shame as the ScaleTrains RivetCounter SD40T-2 has the rear one fitted; and there's no stay-alive capability, again a stark contrast to the RivetCounter Tunnel Motor which also uses an ESU Loksound decoder.

But the big issue, at least for me (my fellow Calder Northern members will know why), is the box art which shows a unit operated by the absolute total squad of fraudsters.

On the track the unit runs beautifully right out of the packaging; the instruction manual is typical Rapido and identifies the main functions of the decoder, as well as advising on the correct way to pick the model up (by the fuel tank, with your hand over the long hood).

I'll remap some of the functions to make them more readily accessible and probably weather it - blistering around the exhaust stack, fuel stains, general Southwestern grime/faded paint - before setting it to run with my GP40X's.
From Rigby Yard to the Hill - MEC and SP live on.
z4driver

Re: EsPee Rapido B36-7 - Initial thoughts

Post by z4driver »

Thanks for that, I'm currently awaiting a CSX version. Can I ask if you ordered direct or through a UK shop?
mec_alf

Post by mec_alf »

z4driver wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:57 am Thanks for that, I'm currently awaiting a CSX version. Can I ask if you ordered direct or through a UK shop?
I ordered mine direct from Rapido.
From Rigby Yard to the Hill - MEC and SP live on.
z4driver

Post by z4driver »

I've ordered mine through Rails of Sheffield. I may direct next time
z4driver

Post by z4driver »

Well after ordering mine on the 9th Dec 2019 through Rails of Sheffield, and checking back regularly, I finally get told today that I won't be getting one as they've all gone!!