The AP and the youth of today...

If it doesn't fit above, try here!
redbull

The AP and the youth of today...

Post by redbull »

Guys, Just thought I would let you know about this:

Joel Priest in the USA has achieved his Master Model Railroader certificate – he is MMR 503. The amazing thing is that Joel is only 12 years old!! He has achieved what many model railroaders only dream of attaining!

Now none of us have any excuse!!!

Peter
Peter Borcherds
Rochelle Intermodal N Scale Modular Layout
http://www.rochelleintermodal.com
torikoos

Re: The AP and the youth of today...

Post by torikoos »

Quite an achievement in it's own right, to gain that title. Most people spend a lifetime obtaining that, but it's good to see a young person being so involved and gaining this high accolade.

I found a little more about it on the Modelrailway show, while googling his name (in hopes to find out a bit about his work , not succesful at finding that though), but here's a bit more text:
"Quote" The Model Railway Show sends out a big “Attaboy!” to Joel Priest – who, at 12 years old, has just been named the youngest Master Model Railroader in the history of the National Model Railroad Association.

Joel – who is MMR #503 – is a member of the NMRA’s Mid-Continent Region. He earned his certificates in Motive Power, Cars, Structures, Scenery, Civil, Electrical, Dispatcher, Volunteer, and Author.

Well done, Joel! "end quote"

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
calaf01

Post by calaf01 »

There have been a few articles about him in Model Railroader recently with his V&O Railroad. The fact that his Dad is a contributor in his own right, and an MMR, I think, means that he knows all the right people to talk to about getting help, though I believe his Dad has let him get on with it himself. Good on him, anyway.
Alan C.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Joel has been in Scale Rails a few times, his mum and dad are the editors. He also has had help from others such as Allen McClelland and Tony Koester. But his father has stated that Joel has done all the work himself, paid for most of it and probably worst, has two perfectionist parents to work under!
I think good on him, yes he is lucky to have some really top modellers as mentors, but he still had to do the work.
Mike Ruby
redbull

Post by redbull »

Which goes to show, there is hope for this hobby after all! Let's five as much help to the youngsters as we can, let's encourage them and entice them with this wonderful hobby!
Peter Borcherds
Rochelle Intermodal N Scale Modular Layout
http://www.rochelleintermodal.com
calaf01

Post by calaf01 »

Yes, you're right, Mike, it was Scale Rails where I saw his articles. I knew it was somewhere in one of those major magazines but I forgot which one.
Alan C.