N scale Modular Development SIG

Moderator: 102663

Forum rules
N scale Modular Development SIG
deanobeano

N Scale Modules

Post by deanobeano »

Hi Steve,

I'm interested in being part of this SIG. I'm currently building a N Scale layout which won't necessarily lend itself to a standardised modular process however having seen the successful build process in the Model Railroader recently using 12" square modules it does seem to provide an basis for some quick win building and for bringing people together.

I have an idea to try this out within my extended family by providing the base units and then seeing what we can achieve say over maybe three months before coming back together for a running session (warts an all!!!)

There doesn't seem to be standard approach for N scale within the boundaries of the Forum - or am I not looking in the right places?

Regards

Dean
Dean Halls

Re: N Scale Modules

Post by 800627 »

Hi Dean,
No response in 14 months indicates a fair degree of disinterest!
I floated a similar idea (T-trak) in the N Gauge Society Worldwide Group newsletter for the same reasons and the only response was from an active group with a Swedish influence in Ireland. There seems to be little interest otherwise, although it appears popular in other parts of the world and there was a large display layout at the Great Train Show in Indianapolis last year.
Whilst there are many advantages, the main (not insurmountable) drawbacks in a traditional show context are the low tabletop display height and lack of back drops.
Did you have a go yourself?
Geoff
Geoff
deanobeano

Post by deanobeano »

Hi Geoff,

Actually, I have got some good news in that the nearest group to me (Thamesiders based at Frating near Colchester) are very keen on N and this Saturday (20th) there is a discussion to see how we can make a go of it (all though I'm not sure T Trak is on the radar!!) - I had previously got some feedback from Steve Dennison and separately xx from the Black Diamonds team and of course there are the Worcester N Gaugers amongst others who do model in N - but again not in T Trak format.

I think the problem is not related to N not being modelled, it is (and I think it's the same no matter what the scale / gauge or format), the fact that the NMRABR forum doesn't seem to attract lots of people who want to share (know how or otherwise). A quick rummage through the postings will reveal the same names and very little traffic. A topic for another day though!!

I'm keen on backdrops because I want to create an illusion with my modelling and its another skill set that others could do even if they were not necessarily into the trains bit. It seems to be a simple process of having a detachable unit depending on the occasion.

As for height, it does really depend on the audience and whether they're playing or watching!

The home family T Trak plan is yet to materialise but that's down to me not pressing the go button because I'm distracted elsewhere - let's see where saturdays discussion goes - you never know.

What about yourself and your own modelling?

Kind regards

Dean
Dean Halls
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Dean,

Can't believe it's a year on! How did your discussions with the Thamesiders and the home family project go?

In the last couple of months I've built a couple of double modules close to Aussie Mini T-Trak N standards. Each module is 618mm x 186mm with the main 30mm from one edge. The slightly wider (than 150mm) depth is due to not wishing to spoil some existing ply used for the tops. ImageI've also added height adjusters, just in case they can be used in a modular set-up.

The design is for a car cleaning facility with RIP line, notionally in the yard of a disused depot, that can double as an Inglenook type switching layout.

The impetus came after after setting up and breaking down another small, but more complex, layout at the Wealden Show on 10 March and wanting a replacement for Mahwah for the NGS Worldwide Group Convention on 21 April, so no pressure!

The modules have been designed double-sided, ie a through line at front in a modular setting, or using the main as a rear fiddle yard in a stand-alone/home switching context. Since the WWG Convention I have added loose sky boards that can sit in 'U' section plastic channel on either front or rear and which is also useful when the two units are boxed face to face for storage. The basics are done but vegetation and more detail is yet to be added.

Electrically, the layout has two sections and I am using a Medvend controller with 9v PP3 battery for track supply and 12v dc with (on)-off-(on) reversing switches for the KATO turnouts, but ultimately would like 100% battery operation with radio control. In modular format, the switching yard can be operated separately to the main.

I also have in development two boards (again recycled) that could be used for 180 degree turns, albeit using 216mm radius curves, that will give the further options of 'U' or 'O' formats. One of the boards is likely to be a take on the Red Caboose Motel near Strasburg, Pennsylvania.

I will check out how to add a picture and a track plan.

Geoff
Deanobeano57

Post by Deanobeano57 »

Hi “Reluctant progressor”, great name and one which I could relate too.

It’s been a long time since I posted here because as you’ve seen it’s not used as much as it ought!!

As to your post I and at least three others are now actively building N Scale Modules as part of the Thamesiders Group. The group details are posted on the main pages on this website but in essence we meet once a month on a Saturday at White Gates Farm at Frating in Essex.

The next meeting is 13th April and we would be pleased to see you if you fancied a trip out.

Our modules are being built to a simple “ Twin Track” format with the “Eastbound” line at 5” (125mm) centre from the front edge. We are using Peco Code 55 as a general basis however the use of Atlas or other rail type wouldn’t be discouraged. I see you are looking to build
Fine Scale and are looking for “templates” for turnouts. Unfortunately as Mike offered in his post I’m not aware of anybody other than Fast tracks offering templates and even then there’s not many sizes available.

If you’d like to know more then the phone is normally on (07941 088450) and emails work too (deanobeano57@gmail.com).

Kind regards

Dean
deanobeano

Post by deanobeano »

Hi, whilst we’re not into Finescale par se we are currently building N Scale modules at our homes and at our Thamesiders NMRA (BR) site at White Gates Farm at Frating, Essex. Basically a Twin Track main with return boards at either end will allow us to run continuous as well as operate Freight drop offs at Industries along the way.

Currently there are four stalwarts driving the build using in the main Peco Code 55 track and turnouts however there is no real limit on what track type can be used.

Would be good to have new members to join in the fun! Details of the group and site are on the main pages of this website however if you want to call (07941 088450) or email (deanobeano57@gmail.com) to have a chat then please do. The next meet is Sat 13th April if you’d like to come along.

Kind regards

Dean
Dean Halls
JimD17

Post by JimD17 »

Dean
What standard for board joints do you use?
What boards do you have?

Jim Dickinson
deanobeano

Post by deanobeano »

Hi Jim,

Currently there is a

1. three board (10') Module that has a range of sidings that may get converted to being a US Army "Depot" (working progress).

2. a six board (20') Module that has just been designed as an Operational Yard (through roads, passing sidings, Industry units etc) (Design stage but with boards constructed). This Saturday will be design review day!!!

3. two Three track Return Boards (working progress)

4. two twin track 90 degree bend boards (workimg progress)

5. One member has a Wood Mill Module (fully functional)

6. One member (me) with a plan for a three board (10') module, small town with Depot and small Industries (Design stage)

Things are now starting to pick up so if you want to drop in then please do.

Kind regards

Dean
Dean Halls
Ricominer

Post by Ricominer »

Hi, anyone on here know anything about Free-mo N?

Post by 800627 »

Hi Dean
Any update on progress over the last 12 months?
Geoff
Geoff
ianpidgley

Post by ianpidgley »

i have just bought 2 of the t-trak kits from gaugemaster... i wondered if the lack of interest is just a symptom of no starting point, so i'm just gonna build a couple of modules and see what i end up with, i have enough Unitrack to build a loop on stilts around them so they can work on there own for a while... work is in the early planning stage

Post by 800627 »

Good to hear, Ian,
What progress so far?
Geoff
Geoff
PeterLJ

Post by PeterLJ »

Hi

I was wondering what the current situation with T-Trak? Thinking of having a go.

Peter